The Ministry of Education (MoE) in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is recruiting for experts in the quality assurance (QA) of higher education (HE) to lead the establishment, development and operation of the “Department of Evaluation and Quality of Higher Education Institutions”. The UAE is a progressive fast developing country known for its high standards of living.
Overview of the Department:
The Department of Evaluation and Quality of Higher Education Institutions manages the development of an integrated system to evaluate and classify higher education institutions (HEIs) in the UAE periodically based on a specific quality framework that includes approved standards and performance indicators. In doing so, the Department performs the following functions:
- Develop a national framework to evaluate the quality of HEIs and update this framework regularly.
- Develop standards and regulations for the classification of HEIs.
- Periodically evaluate HEIs based on the evaluation and quality framework.
- Prepare and publish periodic reports that present the performance of HEIs based on the results of the evaluation.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in the operation and performance of HEIs.
- Outline performance improvement plans for HEIs based on the results of the evaluation and QA processes.
- Follow-up on the implementation of the improvement plans in coordination with the Monitoring Sector of the MoE.
- Conduct research and perform studies on the effectiveness of HEIs.
- Support the processes of policy-making and decision-taking by analyzing HE performance indicators and proposing alternatives for existing policies.
- Any other functions related to the work of the Department or assigned by the Assistant Undersecretary for Planning and Development and/or the Undersecretary for Higher Education Academic Affairs.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The recruited experts will contribute to the MoE’s QA strategy development and operationalization through designing, developing and implementing QA and classification frameworks that best respond to the needs of the HE sector in the UAE and promotes its improvement and enhancement, leading to the excellence vision set by the UAE leadership.
The recruited experts report to the Department Director, lead teams of professionals and often work with HE stakeholders to plan and implement activities and projects leading to the improvement and enhancement of the QA framework of the UAE. Primary responsibilities for the recruited experts include but are not limited to the following:
- Design, develop and operationalize QA frameworks, policies, procedures and mechanisms for the UAE HEIs and programs (including classification, risk-based assessment, performance-based funding, and the like);
- Prepare and monitor the delivery of department annual plans
- Lead a team of professionals in terms of the functions assigned to the Department/section;
- Design and conduct system-wide analysis on a regular basis;
- Supervise and administer QA procedures including external reviews of HEIs and programs;
- Supervise the database of external reviewers, the procedure of reviewer selection and reviewer effectiveness evaluation;
- Run a complaint management and penalties systems.
- Recruit, train and supervise staff in their department/section/team.
- Develop and deliver capacity building activities for the HE system enhancement;
- Report on the system state of affairs, achievements, challenges and trends;
- Guide operationalization of external reviews of HEIs and programs;
- Collaborate with local and international counterparts to promote the HE system in the UAE internationally;
- Any other task as assigned by the line manager.
Required Expertise and Qualifications:
- A doctorate degree from an accredited institution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated high-quality writing, editing, and proofreading in English (Arabic will be an advantage)
- Strong leadership and team-building skills and experience of working effectively as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop and maintain strong, effective working relationships
- Strong organizational and planning skills, managing a complex workload working to multiple deadlines, sound judgment and effective decision making.
- A proven track record of at least 8 years of experience in the field of QA for HE, covering one or more of the following areas:
- Design and development of QA frameworks, regulations, standards, and processes
- Operation of QA systems including QA assessment, reviews, audits, and enhancements.
- Classification/ranking of HEIs.
- Performance-based funding of HEIs.
The benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the UAE, including built-in housing allowance, annual vacation, airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, and subsidized healthcare.
For immediate consideration, please submit the following:
- A letter of application including a statement of purpose which overviews your experience with QA in HE in general and the other requirements noted above, in particular
- A detailed CV including your own contact details (postal address, phone number and email) and the names, affiliations, and contact details of three references, one of which must be the current or former supervisor.
All applications should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com
Evaluation of applications will begin as they are received. The selection will be done on a rolling basis until all the positions are filled. The positions are available immediately.